Start A Forum
So you've got at least 25 new members and your forum is ready to set up!
Step 1. Submit your spreadsheet (Google Doc sample)
By emailing it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with a clear indication of who your Forum Manager will be and their contact information. We will get back to you and/or your Forum Manager with the home page and log-in instructions.
Step 2. Configure your forum home page and charter
By adapting this text as your placeholder description for your About info tab on your home page (example):
- Join your neighbors now! The PLACE HERE Neighbors Forum is the place to share announcements and discuss community issues and life specific to our area. While an independent forum, it is conceived as a friendly complement to our neighborhood association. The forum will open for introductions with 100 members. To get a sense of what this space can be check out this example open forum.
- We do have a longer "charter" that you can craft (example) that sits a top our our universal civility rules. Don't worry about this for now.
The technology is the easy part. Outreach is what really makes or breaks opening a new forum.
Step 3. Continued outreach
- Introduce yourself to the forum and provide a sample invitation for initial members to distribute widely.
- Collaborate with your initial base to build membership.
New members can be added in one of two ways.
- Provide the link to the forum home page where they will have the option to join directly.
- Ask your initial base to send the contact information of people who want to join to your Forum Manager (that may or may not be you) who can add them directly.
Once you've reached 100 members, you're ready to publicly launch your forum! Opening with a friendly round of introductions (before opening to everyday postings) sets a positive tone.
See our Forum manager resources to help you run your forum.
Return to Starting a neighbors forum
Archived Start A Forum advice.