Difference between revisions of "Session Two"
(→Optional Activities (Extra Credit))
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Back to Main Page - [[Intro to
Back to Main Page - [[Intro to ]]
Latest revision as of 14:18, 9 February 2009
Back to Main Page - Intro to Social Media
- RSS Feeds - RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. Simply put, an RSS feed allows people to subscribe to information being published on a web site. (Wikipedia Definition)
- Web Feeds - RSS Feeds are only one several standards for syndicating material on the internet. Another option is an Atom feed. A web feed is a generic term that describes the process of syndicating content from your web site, or making it available for others to subscribe to. A web feed allows someone to publish a live (continually updated) stream of content from one site to another. (Wikipedia Definition)
- Atom Feeds - See Wikipedia Definition
Useful Web Links
- Some useful video links
- Google Reader
- Some wiki resources
- WetPaint - A free wiki service
- A WetPaint wiki web site - I set this up for us to play with.
- Blogger.Com - A free web site where you can set-up your own blog. Also, owned by Google.
- If you have not already done so, set up a Gmail or Google account (They are basically the same thing).
- Log-in to Google Reader and subscribe to the St. Paul Issues Forum.
- Click on the "Add A Subscription" button in the left hand column
- Search for "St Paul Issues Forum"
- Find the listing with this URL - http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/stpaul-issues/messages/posts.atom - and click on subscribe.
- Find another web site with an RSS feed and subscribe to it. Here are some examples:
- The St. Paul Pioneer Press - Feed URL = feed://feeds.twincities.com/mngi/rss/CustomRssServlet/569/200999.xml
- Tim Erickson's Twitter Account - Feed URL = http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/14072864.rss
- The blog on our class NING page - Feed URL = http://introsocialmedia.ning.com/profiles/blog/feed?xn_auth=no
- The Discussion about RSS Feeds on our NING page - Feed URL = http://introsocialmedia.ning.com/forum/topics/video-about-rss-feeds?feed\x3dyes\x26xn_auth\x3dno
- Delicious Tags for our class - Web Feed = http://feeds.delicious.com/v2/rss/tag/rondo-sm001?count=15
- Visit our WetPaint wiki site and create your own page.
- We are creating a list of ideas for how to use a wiki. Add your own idea to the list. List of Ideas
- Use your Google or Gmail account to set up your own blog at Blogger.Com
Optional Activities (Extra Credit)
- Add your name to the list of names below. NOTE: This wiki is a little harder to use than the WetPaint wiki. You don't need to set up your own account to edit this page, however it does make it a bit easier.
- Tim Erickson
- -- Jocelyn Ancheta--
- Jay Wilkinson
- Becca Riedell
- Jan Carr
- Rosa Maria de la Cueva Peterson
- Andrea Cournoyer