Here is a rough idea for a coding session at Participation Camp.
- Context: Democracy is based on geography.
- Problem: It is difficult to quickly identity and connect with other people interested in the "participation" movement.
- Goal: Accelerate the movement of those who want to use the Internet/social media/mobile technology to improve civic participation/government transparency/community building in their neighborhood, city, state and/or country.
- Solution: Encourage people to simply list themselves on a map/list by place with those providing links to their Twitter/Facebook/Blog/etc. listed to enable city by city, state by state, and country by country (will work well in small countries) "who's who" lists.
Participation Squared - A simple pledge with results displayed.
1. (Google) Map of People So Far Link to public listing sorted by geographic hierarchy/placename.
2. Pledge: I believe in participation* online. From my local community to my country, let's build a movement.
- City: (required)
- Country: (required)
- E-mail: (required) (will not be displayed)
- Postal/Zipcode: (will not be displayed)
> More (Add links to your listing)
Twitter handle: Facebook profile: Your blog/website: Friend Feed:
2. Process placename with MySociety's