Intro to Social Media
Important Class Info
- Class Tag =Rondo-sm001
- Learn By Doing - This is intended to be a hands-on class. I will not always have time to explain everything in detail before I ask you to give it a try. However, I will be available to answer questions. I learned most of what I know about the subjects that we will cover in the class, by experimenting with tools and web sites that I didn't fully understand. Don't worry about breaking anything. There is little damage that anyone can do to the sites that we are using, that cannot be easily fixed (the exception might be accidental "Deletion." Be careful of what you DELETE).
- Team Effort - Please consider this class a team effort. We can all learn from each other. I am sure that many of you will show me things that I was not aware of. Do not hesitate to ask your neighbor for help and please offer whatever assistance you can to those around you. One of the best ways to really learn about these tools, is to try and explain them to someone else.
- Homework - Every week, you will leave here with a list of things that you can do at home between class sessions. This "homework" is not required, but highly encouraged. The more time that you are able to play and experiment with these tools, the more that you will learn. Continue to use our online social network to ask questions of each other, share information, and experiment with the tools - between classes.
- Privacy - Don't post anything to any of the sites that we are working with, that you consider to be private information of the nature that might cause you pain or embarassment if it were to be made public.
- Have Fun - The most important thing is that you take the time to enjoy this process.
General Outline of Class - This is a rough outline of when we'll be touching upon some of the major tools or topics. However, some themes will reoccur in every class, while some minor topics are not mentioned in this outline at all.
- Jan 12, 2009
- Introduction to social media and social networking
- Jan 26, 2009
- Blogs and Wiki's
- Feb 2, 2009
- Advanced social networking
- Online forums and E-Democracy
- Feb 9, 2009
- Digital media.
- Photo sharing
- Online Video
- Digital media.
- Class Theme - To reinforce the "community involvement" aspects of this class and to provide us with ideas for content that we can create during the class, we are going to select a policy theme for the class. A subject or issue that affects the Rondo neighborhood. We'd like the theme to be something about which we can create photographic, audio, or video content. Ideas????