Example neighborhood forums
It is important to note that the most active (and therefore successful) neighborhood forums are first about the needs and interests of neighbors and second about participation in the formal aspects of neighborhood organizations.
Therefore, most active neighborhood forums are more like the Roman "forum" or our concept of the "town square" with multiple uses rather than inside the "town hall" with a more strict political participation requirement. A Minneapolis neighborhood forum may decide to limit "local marketplace" activity while others may embrace it under this proposal.
Look for yourself (message archives linked first):
- Cleveland Park, Washington, DC - Info - 3750+ members - Top 3
- Adams Morgan, Washington DC - Info - 1750+ members - Top 3
- Highland Park, Pittsburg, PA - Info - Top 3
- SE Urbana Neighborhood Association - Info - Open format, hosted by neighborhood association
- Hillsboro West End - Info
- Dimond Neighborhood, Oakland, CA - Example web forum - incredibly littered with different subforums though.This option can be a lot clearner and more concise/effective.
- Knox County Neighbors (archives private ) Info - good example of detailed "charter"
- Hensley Historic District
- South Lamar Neighborhood Association
- Brooklyn, NYC Parent forums are often neighborhood-based
- Echo Park/Elysian Park, Los Angeles
- North East Los Angeles - 934 members
- More DC neighborhoods - Also note the Columbia Heights web forum and the Petworth News blog.
Also of note, are online exchanges such as:
A neighborhood "life" forum would likely have announcements like these restricted only to posting by those who live within the boundaries of the established forum.
Some tools/sites that host multiple neighborhood exchanges:
- Front Porch Forum - Building from Vermont out.
- iNeighbors - An in the field academic project.
- NeighborRing local forums - No hosting needed, simple open format, each forum visible within defined geographic radius, plus asset mapping/networking for neighbors
- - Neighbourhood Fix-it - UK project from mySociety
- Social Network Blossoms in Well-Linked Neighborhood - Washington Post
- News about iNeighbors including Web chatting overtakes teh back fence
- Neighbourhoods Blog (UK)
Minneapolis neighborhood forums proposal