- 1 Community Organizations and Services
- 2 Cultural and Ethnic Organizations and Resources
- 3 Local Media
- 4 Education - Schools, Training and Universities
- 5 Public Libraries
- 6 Local Parks and Historic Sites
- 7 Religious Organizations
- 8 Government and Elected Officials
- 9 Local Businesses
- 10 About Cedar-Riverside
Community Organizations and Services
- Cedar Riverside Neighbors Forum - A new online neighborhood discussion forum.
- African Health Action Corporation - Provides health education, counseling, screening and referral services.
- Brian Coyle Community Center - Pillsbury United Communities - Honoring the three “Rs” – respect, reform and reciprocity - to create choice, change, and connection - one person at a time.
- Cedar Riverside Youth Council (Facebook)
- Center for Energy and Environment - Promotes the responsible use of natural and economic resources.
- Children's Home Society & Family Services: Cedar-Riverside Youth Program - A safe place for children – from kindergarten through 12th grade – to meet, learn and grow.
- Community Action of Minneapolis - Provides programs and services for low-income residents of Minneapolis.
- East Side Neighborhood Services - Provides basic needs resources and social services to individuals, families and neighborhoods primarily located in Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis.
- Somali Women in Minneapolis (SWIM) - Helping resettled Somali women move toward their ultimate goal—self-sufficiency.
- Family Opportunities for Living Collaboration - Providing community-led programs in the areas of health, fitness and communication.
- Peoples Center - Medical Clinic - A Community Health Center dedicated to providing affordable, high quality medical care for everyone.
- University District Partnership Alliance - Offers a variety of assistance programs to help residents purchase and maintain a home (Homebuyer Assistance Program).
- West Bank Community Coalition - Strengthening and celebrating the neighborhood by promoting connections between its residents, businesses, institutions, and organizations.
- West Bank Business Association - Includes a calendar and directory.
Cultural and Ethnic Organizations and Resources
Organizations based in the neighborhood or with special programs serving communities here.
- African & American Friendship Association for Cooperation & Development - Empowers immigrants/refugees to be fully integrated into Minnesota’s growth and development.
- Africa Center for Peace and Democracy - Works to bring about peace, democracy and good governance in Central, East and Southern Africa.
- African Community Services - Assists new Americans arriving from Africa to become productive and well-adjusted citizens.
- African Development Center - Helps African immigrants and refugees overcome barriers to financial success.
- African Health Action Corporation - Provides culturally adapted preventive health education, service and referral.
- American Relief Agency for the Horn of Africa - Provides some of the poorest people in the world with the necessary resources for life and well being.
- CAPI - Provides refugee resettlement and anti-poverty services.
- Cedar Cultural Center - A non-profit performing arts organization that presents the best in local, national, and international music, 416 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454, 612-338-2674
- Center for Multicultural Mediation and Restorative Justice Program - Provides restorative justice and mediation services to youth and families with African heritage.
- Confederation of Somali Community in Minnesota - Strengthens the capacity of Somalis in Minnesota to become contributing members of society while keeping their culture.
- East African Women's Center - The heart of the community. 420 15th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454, 612-332-8402
- Eritrean Community Center of Minnesota - Committed to the social and economic development of Eritreans at home and in the Diaspora.
- Ethiopians in Minnesota - Promoting successful integration of Ethiopians to the wider American society while preserving our cultural heritage.
- Liberian Community of Minnesota - Promoting successful integration of Ethiopians to the wider American society while preserving our cultural heritage.
- Korean Service Center - Provides needed services and resources to the Korean community.
- Minnesota African Women's Association - Providing services and programming of interest to women from all African countries living in Minnesota.
- Muslim American Society of Minnesota - Presents the truth of Islam to the public.
- Organizing Apprenticeship Project - Advancing racial, cultural, social and economic justice in Minnesota through organizer and leadership training, policy research and strategic convening work.
- Oromia Youth Association - Promotes Oromo culture and language among Oromo youth.
- Oromo Community of Minnesota - Provides integrated programs and services to assist the Oromo Community.
- Oromo Studies Association - Promoting studies relating and relevant to the Oromo people.
- Somali Action Alliance - Bringing together Somali individuals and organizations who share a common interest in building and understanding public policy and expanding civic engagement among members of this immigrant community.
- Somali International Minorities of America - Educating, advocating, supporting, and empowering Somali minority refugee community through the provision of resources, education, and guidance to build self sufficient lives.
- Umunne Cultural Association - An organization of Igbo-speaking Nigerians in Minnesota.
- Women’s Initiative for Self Empowerment - A multicultural nonprofit organization helping African, Asian and Latino immigrant/refugee women and girls from all countries, cultures, and socio-economic backgrounds achieve their full potential and increase their skills towards economic success.
- Somali American Media Association (SAMA TV)
- Twin Cities Daily Planet (Local Search) (Cedar Riverside article series)
- Google News - Local Search
- Mshale - African Community News - Local Search
- African News Journal
- KFAI Community Radio
- KMOJ FM
- Mashriq Quarterly - An East African Perspective
- Minneapolis Television Network - Public Cable Access
- Minnesota Public Radio
- Minnesota Daily - University of Minnesota Student Paper
- Radio K - U of MN
- Somali TV of Minnesota
- Bartamaha - Minnesota Somali News
- Minnesota Somali e-News
- Mogadishu Times - Minnesota
Education - Schools, Training and Universities
- Minneapolis Public Schools
- School Choice Center
- Family Guide to choosing a school, Pre-Kindergarten to Middle Grades
- Find your school choice options based on your address/attendance area (Tip: After entering your address, use the Compare All tab to compare area schools based on testing and school demographic data)
- Magnet Schools
- Charter Schools sponsored by Minneapolis Public Schools
- English Language Learner Programs, including Native Language Literacy - Somali
- Browse through schools based on program offerings, activities and start times
- Find your High School Options based on your address/attendance area or see All High School Programs & Options
- School Choice Terms You Need to Know
- Charter Schools Sponsored by:
- State Directory of Charter Schools (Tip: Click on City and scroll down to find a listing of Minneapolis charter schools.)
- Religious Schools
- Trinity First Lutheran School (Pre-K-8)
- Adult Education
- Cedar Riverside Adult Education Program - Classrooms are located in the Brian Coyle Community Center; the "M" Building and "C" Building Community Rooms; and in the Riverside Plaza Resident Resource Center.
- Community Partnerships for Adult Learning (Minneapolis Adult Basic Education)
- Somali Education Center - 2205 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404, 612-872-8812
- Somali Success School (Minneapolis Community Education), 939 Olson Memorial Highway, Minneapolis, MN 55405, 612-278-5280
- Higher Education
- Hennepin County Public Libraries (Map)
- Minneapolis Central Library - 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401, 952-847-8000
- Southeast Library - 1222 4th St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414, 952-847-2725
- East Lake Library - 2727 Lake St E, Minneapolis, MN 55406, 952-847-8425
- Franklin Library - 1314 Franklin Ave E, Minneapolis, MN 55404, 952-847-2925
- James G Lindell Library (Augsburg College) - 621 21st Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454, 612-330-1017
- University of Minnesota Libraries
- Anderson Library - 222 21st Ave So, Minneapolis, MN 55455-4400, 612-625-9527
- Law Library - 229 19th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Meredith Wilson Library - 309 19th Ave So, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Local Parks and Historic Sites
- Currie Park - 500 15th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Murphy Square Park - 801 22nd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Riverside Park- 2700 8th St S, Minneapolis, MN 55406
- Minneapolis Riverfront District - Covers both sides of the river from Plymouth Ave. to I-35W and encompasses the individual parks and landmarks of Boom Island, Nicollet Island, Historic Main St. and Father Hennepin Bluffs.
- Mill City Museum - 704 South 2nd St, Minneapolis, MN 55401, 612-341-7555
- Stone Arch Bridge and St. Anthony Falls - SE Main Street, Minneapolis, MN 55414, 651-296-6126
- Community of St. Martin Ministries - 2001 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Our Redeemer Oromo Evangelical Church in Minnesota - 4000 28th Ave So, Minneapolis, MN 55406
- Trinity Lutheran Congregation - 2001 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Love Power Music & Miracles - 1407 S Washington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Quaker Meeting Prospect Hill - 1929 South 5th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Westminster Presbyterian Church - 1200 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403
- Masjid Al-Qanateen - 311 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Civic Center - 504 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Masjid Daarulquba - 1415 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415
Government and Elected Officials
This directory lists the main local and state elected officials representing this neighborhood. If you would like to help build out a special citizen guide directory, contact E-Democracy.org.
- Cam Gordon, Minneapolis City Council - Blog
- RT Rybak, Mayor
- Minneapolis Neighborhood and Community Relations - Engaging our community.
- Cedar Riverside Neighborhood Revitalization Program - Bringing residents into the priority-setting process.
- Minneapolis Police Community Crime Prevention Precinct 1 - Works with neighborhoods to reduce the fear of crime, improve community and police cooperation and improve the quality of life in Minneapolis.
- Depth of Field Yarn - 405 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Midwest Mountaineering - 309 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Ross West Bank Pharmacy - 327 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454 612-333-6328
- Starbucks Coffee - 2515 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454 612-305-0235
- University of Minnesota Medical Center/Fairview (Riverside Campus) - 2450 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454 612-273-3000 (main switchboard)
- Food & Entertainment
- 400 Bar - 400 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Acadia Cafe - 329 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Cabooze - 917 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- Hard Times Café - 1821 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Mixed Blood Theatre Company - 1501 Fourth St S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Nomad World Pub - 501 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Pizza Luce University/Cedar-Riverside - 2200 Franklin Ave E, Minneapolis, MN 55404 612-332-2535
- Red Sea Restaurant & Bar - 320 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Southern Theater - 1420 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- The Corner Bar - 1501 S Washington Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55455 612-339-4333
- The Electric Fetus - 2000 4th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404 612-870-9300
- Theatre in the Round - 245 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Triple Rock Social Club - 629 Cedar Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454 612-333-7399
- Banks and Credit Unions
The Cedar-Riverside neighborhood, aka, "the West Bank," is a historical neighborhood on the West Bank of the Mississippi. Cedar-Riverside includes the 7-Corners neighborhood and the University of Minnesota and Augsburg Colleges. We are packed with numerous venues offering live performance, music and dance. The ethnic diversity of our residents translates into good food at unique restaurants that blend with traditional brew pubs and outdoor cafes. Retail establishments include Halal markets, 2 African malls ( souks), outdoor supplies and knitting essentials. We are within walking distance of the Metrodome, the Mill City Museum, and the new Guthrie Theater. Crowds of students, sports fans, theatergoers, diners, shoppers, and our own residents make Cedar Riverside one of the liveliest areas in the Twin Cities.