Back To Main Page of Citizens Guide to St. Paul
Great Block Club Ideas
- History Club
Submitted by Kelly, from Merriam Park
We are laid back in planning, here's the date, bring your activity or idea.
- discussion of favorite contractors
- discussion of who lives in the neighborhood, lev 3 offenders and protection - we actively moved our sitting areas from the backs of houses to the fronts of houses as a result of this discussion
- a play written by and produced by 6 -7 year olds that included young people both in and out of the neighborhood
- always a potluck, sitting all together and trading of recipes
- a Halloween box maze
- rented and shared the cost of a jumping balloon house
- the artists of block are planning to have a house to house showing of art
- a costume bike parade
- a giant water fight
- sitting around a fire and chatting
I've never led block club efforts, but did have a neighbor who hosted a few National Night Out potlucks a few years back. Prior to the potluck she created a one-page "plat map" of our block and some adjacent streets, and went door to door to collect names and phone numbers of homeowners. I put it in a three-ring binder with tabs for scout and soccer team rosters, school directories, etc. Over the years it proved very helpful when I occasionally needed to get in touch with a neighbor.